For His Glory

Monday, December 12, 2005

Entering Lion's Country

Hello everyone,
The following is something I read today that I thought went very well with the message (Audio/ Text)Sunday. I was wanting to write on this subject but I think the illustration here is very good so I decided to post it instead. Dennis Rainey wrote this:


Entering Lion's Country
(Part One)

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

1 Peter 5:8

I've been smelling lion's breath recently, and have nearly gagged at its odious smell. Where have I been? On a lion country safari? In Kenya? Sudan? At the zoo? No. None of these.

Let's just say I've been in lion country.

Pastor and author A.W. Tozer made numerous visits there. In fact, he may have lived in lion country. After a particularly difficult time, Tozer noted the following: "But I will tell you something-it is a delightful thing when you know that you are close enough to the adversary that you can hear him roar! Too many Christians never get into 'lion country' at all!"

After pondering Tozer's observation, I've concluded that we should charge headlong into lion country. You see, "lion country" is territory controlled by the devil. It is the daily domain of the ruler of this world.

Lions in Africa prey on weak, unsuspecting animals and those straggling behind the protection of the head of the pack. Likewise, the devil prowls about trying to deceive (devour) those with weak convictions and naive beliefs. For example, if a Christian refuses to submit to the accountability of other believers in the local church, he will find himself isolated, delicious prey for the crafty deceiver. He may not be able to defend himself when he's faced with temptation.

How does a lion devour its prey? One bite at a time. I wonder at times if twentieth-century Christians have been anesthetized by prosperity and busy schedules while the enemy chews off three-quarters of their legs!

Far too many Christians are being fooled by the enemy. They have been deceived into thinking that run-of-the-mill Christianity is all there is. Jesus Christ may be a part of their lives, but He isn't Lord of their lives.

I know, because for more than 14 years I was the prey of the enemy. I thought I knew what was best for me. I wanted God only as my emergency Savior, when I was in a crisis and needed Him. And if you're like I was, the lion has you in his jaws. -Dennis Rainey

4 Comments:

  • Josh,
    I enjoyed that post very much! The illustration of "lion country" was so full of truth. God gives us the strength we need to enter the "devil's domain." We know that He has already overcome the world, therefore we should trust that He can enable us to fight these battles. We must keep each other on the alert for Satan's attacks.
    Thank you for sharing with all of us!

    In Christ,
    Heather

    By Blogger Heather Livingston, at 12/13/2005 1:42 PM  

  • Whether we realize it or not, we are always in Lion Country. Oh how we need to stay close to our shepherd and not stray from the fold.

    Thanks for posting this Josh!

    By Blogger Aaron Turner, at 12/16/2005 2:04 PM  

  • Josh,
    This is a great post! Thank You for reminding me that we are never out of sight of our adversary the devil. Which also reminds me that we must be saturated in Gods word and prayer at all times because satan may choose to attack us at any time. We must seek to put on the whole armor of God daily so that we do not become a weak prey. We must be alert and ready so when he attacks we will be able to persevere. I praise the Lord for how he perserves us through Christ each and everyday from our enemy. It is comforting to know that we can have hope in the promises God has given us in His word about delivering His people. May we seek God daily so that through Him we may recieve strength for the battles that lay ahead. Praise God I am on the side of the victor. God has already won!!! It is awesome that we have the inside scoop so to speak on the outcome of this war. I praise God for choosing me to be on His side. What an awesome sovereign God we serve.
    Michelle

    By Blogger Michelle Harrison, at 12/16/2005 5:42 PM  

  • It's been 6 days, 16 hrs, and 19 mins since your last post. Lets see some more. haha.

    (just kidding; see joel's blog) ;)

    By Blogger Jay Harrison, at 12/19/2005 1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home