For His Glory

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Woman at the well

Just my journal for today. (minus my answers to the questions :)


John 4:7-30

This the story of the Samaritan woman at the well. In this story, Christ speaks of two kinds of water:

1. "This water," which would not satisfy and would not quench thirst. The woman would have to keep coming back again and again to get more of "this water."
2. "The water I give" which would quench thirst eternally.

The first water is physical, while the second is spiritual. The physical water represents the well of the world. This water is what I seek if i am seeking after something other than God. I will never be satisfied with this water.

The Second water represents eternal life. It can also be the word of God. This water is inexaustable and I will always be satisfied with it.

This woman in the passage had 5 different husbands and one "boyfriend" (He wasnt her husband but they lived together). It is very obvious by this that she was finding no permanent satisfaction in these relationships. She kept going back and finding another, and then another, etc.

When I refuse the water that God offers, I make my own cisterns (or idols) of water. The thing is though, my cisterns are broken. Turning to something that isnt of God for satisfaction, it is like drinking water from a jar with holes in it! Jeremiah. 2:13

This reminds me of the now famous quote from John Piper: God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.

1. Which of the two waters have I been drinking?


2. Has it left me thirsty?


3. Are the cisterns I'm drinking from broken?


4. Are there idols in my heart? And if so, what are they?


5. If yes to 2-4, what can I do to practically change that in my life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home