For His Glory

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Not Wasting Our Lives

Well, today is Nov. 12. Only about 4 months to the wedding. I'm very excited and thankful to God for such a godly woman as Sarah. I am very excited and I'm looking forward to God using us for His glory.

I just finished watching a movie called, "Beyond the Gates of Splendor." It has really got me thinking. The movie is about true events of five missionaries and their familes, Jim Elliot being one of them. They were trying to reach a certain tribe deep in the jungle. They got there by plane and met with some of the people who were friendly at first, but later killed all 5 guys. The wives of all the men then decided to go into the village and God opened it up to them through a series of events. Eventually, some of the indians were saved and today, the son and grandsons of one of the missionaries have befriended the same guys that killed their grandfather. One of the grandsons even calls one of them granpa. This actually ties into a sermon i have listened to this past week a couple times on my way to work. It is simply entitled, "Don't Waste your Life", by John Piper. God has really used that to rekindle some coals in my heart for Him. This message is probably one of the most important messages I have ever heard. In this message he talks about all the things that have happened. He mentioned a earthquake in Iran that killed 25,000+ people. He then asks this question: "What does Jesus want us to learn about our lives from these calamities?"

Luk 13:1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
Luk 13:2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
Luk 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Luk 13:4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
Luk 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

We all deserve to die this very second. As you read this, you deserve to die right now. Piper puts it this way, "Your life is in the hands of God and it hangs by a thread of sovereign grace." Wow. That has really been sinking in lately.

Piper goes on to talk about not wasting our lives with the vanity of this world.

I'm 19. What have I accomplished for the glory of God since I have been alive? Have I wasted my life thus far? Ask yourself those questions and you will probably be like me and cringe at honestly answering.

Phi 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.
Phi 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

May I adopt that attitude! Paul sums up the Christian's life in 2 verses. Whether it be life or death, Christ is to be magnified in me. Every thing I do should be to make Christ look precious. In my family, Christ is to be shown my treasure. With the money that is entrusted to me, Christ is to be my treasure. People should be able to look at me and it should be clear that Christ is my treasure whether i have 45 million dollars in the bank or 2 dollars. Either way, Christ is to be seen as worth and my treasure.

I am given money, status, cars, toys, etc... all for the purpose of showing the world that Christ is above all and a far more valuable treasure than anything this world can offer.

What a concept.

Father,
I pray that Christ would be counted as a priceless treasure in my life. May all that I do bring glory and honor to His holy name. My life is yours and I pray that you would take it and do with it what you please. You created life and you alone decide what to do with it. When I meet you at my life's end, may I hear, "Well, done thou good and faithful servant, thou has been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." Lord, please do not let me waste my life! Give me grace to carry out what you call me to do. Give me a all-consuming passion to magnify Christ with every fiber of my body! May I show that Christ is more valuable to me than my own life! I pray this not only for me but for my church and every christian in the world. Open our eyes to our slavery to the comforts and security of the world. Do not let us go through this life rich and full, while others sink below us in poverty and starvation. As people die and go to hell, may we not sit around, but get to work to show the world that Christ is worth living and dying for.

5 Comments:

  • Josh,

    This is good stuff. Please pray for me that Christ will be my treasure and my desire. These days I am realizing that I need Him more than I ever. My flesh is so corrupt, and my life will endure so much pain and heartache if I'm not relying on his grace. It is God who must hold me. When I forget this and follow vain passions I get confused and make a mess. Good writing here!

    -Jeremy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/12/2005 1:29 PM  

  • Josh,
    I got to thinking about this lately: each second that I allow to slip by is gone forever! I will have to give an account to God for every moment of my time spent on things that don't really matter. In Don Whitney's spiritual disciplines book, he pointed out Jonathan Edwards' view on time: To live every day as if at the end of the day you had to give an account of your time to God. How convicting!
    I pray also that Christ will be my everything, the only treasure that I seek. It is so easy to let earthly desires get in the way of the beauty and glory of our sovereign God! Praise Him that He gives us grace to follow after Him! May we really evaluate our lives to see if what we are doing in this life is bringing glory to Him.
    Thank you for pouring out your heart through this journal. I needed to hear it.

    In Christ,
    Heather

    By Blogger Heather Livingston, at 11/13/2005 2:50 PM  

  • Josh,

    Thank you for your very encouraging, and at the same time convicting post.

    At age 19 these are great things to be thinking about. It is good that God in His grace has allowed you to think this way early.

    You are a blessing to me!

    -Bro. Aaron

    By Blogger Aaron Turner, at 11/14/2005 9:43 AM  

  • Josh,
    It is a blessing to see what the Lord is continuing to do in you. Thank you for sharing these thoughts...Reminding me of what's most important.

    ~Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/14/2005 10:32 PM  

  • Josh,
    Wow! I have to say that now I have some serious thinking to do. I am beginning to realize the importance of my exsistance on this earth and the mission God has called me to do while I am here. Your post has made me look at my life at some different angles. Thank you for being honest and open in your sharing. My prayer for all of us is that God will make it clear how we should be "not wasting our lives"!
    ~Beth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/15/2005 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home