For His Glory

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Christian Qualities

2Pe 1:12 Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have.
2Pe 1:13 I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder,
2Pe 1:14 since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me.
2Pe 1:15 And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things.
(ESV)

The qualities referred to here include virtue, knowledge, self-control, stedfastness, godliness, brotherly affection, and love. As a Christian, these are qualities to be demonstrated in my life. To the people who know me, this should be the norm. As a church in whole, these things are to be normal of the people who make it up. For example, we should be asking each other what God has been doing through the spiritual disciplines in our lives as the norm. It should be weird for someone to not be practicing these things.

Praise God that He has placed people in my life to remind me of these things as Peter did here to those he was writing. I thank God that I have a mom and dad, pastor, elders, and friends who are diligent in reminding me of these things.

It is also amazing that what Peter wrote here still holds true today. In verse 15, Peter says he will try to make it possible for his readers to recall these things at anytime. Today, about 2,000 or so years later, I'm sitting at my computer reading the very things he wanted his readers to be able to recall. Isnt God amazing!

6 Comments:

  • Josh,
    All of these qualities are God qualities. If we are in Christ and walking in the spirit we will naturally exhibit these same qualities to those around us. It pleases God when our life is a reflection of his Character.

    Michelle

    By Blogger Michelle Harrison, at 12/01/2005 3:03 AM  

  • This passage illustrates the balance between resting in Christ to produce His character through us, and the fact that effort is invovled in growing as a Christian.

    Thanks for this very insightful post!

    Blessings,
    Brother Aaron

    By Blogger Aaron Turner, at 12/01/2005 7:22 AM  

  • Yeah I see that now. i didnt see it like that before. Thanks for pointing that out Bro. Aaron. God's word is rich!

    By Blogger Joshua Goddard, at 12/01/2005 9:52 AM  

  • Josh,

    Thank you for your post. It has caused me to examine myself. I feel like I am saying just about the same thing on everyone's blogs today but, everyone's blogs that I have read today have encouraged me and/or caused me to examine my own life. Which God is really teaching me right now to be constantly examining myself to make sure that I am in the right frame of mind and my focus is right and I am walking with Him. Its so important to always be filtering your mind and controlling your thoughts. Through being surrounded by other Christians and by fellowship it makes is so much easier. Thanks again

    By Blogger Bethany, at 12/01/2005 1:10 PM  

  • We should all have the same demeanor. You can tell about the spiritual health of a church by seeing obvious similarities in their behavior and spirit. My prayer is that our church will become more uniform in these behaviors. Good practical teaching here!

    By Blogger Jeremy Turner, at 12/01/2005 3:29 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Jeremy Turner, at 12/01/2005 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home