For His Glory

Monday, October 02, 2006

Desiring God 2006


Over on Joshua Harris' blog, he recounts some of the highlights of the Q&A session of the Desiring God 2006 conference. Tim Challies (my fav blogger.) has live blogged this event as he did the T4G conference earlier this year, although he did not cover the Q&A sessions. So thanks to Josh for providing insights for these sessions. He has some particularly interesting comments about Mark Driscoll. He also reports John Piper's gentle correction of Driscoll. Below is an excerpt of Josh's blog:

The weather in Minneapolis was beautiful today. C.J., Jeff and I had a great time on the second day of the Desiring God conference.

Tonight in my hotel lobby I ran into Tim Challies who is live blogging the conference. Honestly, I don’t know how he does it. Live blogging an event like this is an amazing feat. I certainly couldn’t pull it off. I asked Tim if he was covering the question and answer sessions and he said he wasn’t because it’s too hard to cover all the content. This is understandable but unfortunate, because I’ve found these sessions to be some of the most helpful content of the conference. Not just because of the less scripted and spontaneous nature of what is shared, but because the comments are often illuminating and practical.

Let me try and give a sampling of both the profound and amusing in the Q&A discussions led by Justin Taylor: (read more)



2 Comments:

  • I like Mark Driscoll quite a bit - and think he's right on target. But I also agree with Piper on his caution to Driscoll too.

    Thanks!
    -Jay

    By Blogger Jay Harrison, at 10/03/2006 12:49 AM  

  • "He referenced a point Driscoll had made in his talk about the importance of holding certain unchanging truths in our left hand that are the non-negotiables of the faith, while being willing to contextualize and differ on secondary issues and stylistically (these are “right hand” issues)."


    The issue is not about imitating, I don't think, but if pastors are trying only to imitate his "right hand" there's a problem.

    Mars Hill's Left Hand should be far more prominent than their right. The left-handed issues should certainly take control when he is in the pulpit.

    I absolutely agree that Driscoll should have been rebuked.

    Some people had problems with Piper doing it in front of all of those people and when Mark Driscoll was not there. I am sure one of the reasons he did it this way was because he happened to have the ears of a lot of people who had recently heard Mark, and was subtle cautioning them.

    Thanks for the post.

    By Blogger Jeremy Turner, at 10/03/2006 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home